Match Reports

Second half comeback sees Braves beat Harlequins 'A'

Monday, 4th September 2017 @ 21:50

A strong second half display saw Exeter Braves beat Harlequins 'A' at The Stoop. 

Harlequins had led at the break 9-0 thanks to three James Lang penalties following an impressive opening hour for The Londoners. 

However, tries from Shaun Malton and James Freeman and the excellent kicking of Joe Simmonds saw Braves fight back to win the match. 

For 30 minutes the match remained scoreless with both teams' defences getting a strong hit out on The Stoop pitch.

Renaldo Bothma looked impressive with his early physicality but unfortunately left the match early with an injury.

Lang impressed with boot to ball for most of the match and especially in the opening half, regularly finding touch with some lengthy kicks.

From Harry Sloan's clever break the first opportunity for points arrived and Lang duly obliged from close range.

Shortly after captain for the match Dave Lewis looked to snipe through to score but with an advantage the ball was fumbled and referee Adam Leal brought play back for the kick at goal. Lang doubled the lead.

Tim Swiel set off on a lovely break soon after and looked sure to contribute to the match's first try but his inside pass was picked off.

With the last action of the first half Harlequins won another kickable penalty and Lang stayed perfect with the boot. At the break Harlequins held a nine point buffer.

Up until just before the hour mark, Harlequins held the 9-0 lead but Exeter eventually broke through from a rolling maul. Malton getting down first to score.

Following Simmonds' conversion, within five minutes the visitors had the lead when Simmonds again sent the ball over the posts from a long range penalty.

With ten minutes on the clock and Exeter only one point ahead, their pressure was not rewarded after being held up on the line.

Soon after, however, they broke through again when James Freeman bundled over despite Harlequins' best defensive efforts following phase after phase of attack.

With Simmonds again staying strong with the boot, Exeter led 9-17 with five minutes on the clock. Simmonds completed his perfect day with the boot when he scored another penalty with two minutes left, completing the 9-20 comeback.

Harlequins return to The Stoop on Saturday when they face Gloucester Rugby in the Aviva Premiership, kick-off 15:00. Tickets for the match are available to purchase online or by calling 020 8410 6010