Match Reports

Gloucester United 53 - 19 Harlequins

Saturday, 20th April 2019 @ 17:35

Despite second half tries from scrum-half Calum Waters, Number Eight Renaldo Bothma and EPDG player James Bourton, Quins were unable to deal with the upfront grunt of Gloucester United, conceding eight tries on a sunny afternoon at Kingsholm Stadium.

Quins finish the 2018/19 season in fourth place in the Premiership Rugby Shield Southern Conference.

The hosts came out firing in the first half, scoring their first points on the 7-minute mark from a penalty kick from fly-half Lloyd Evans. Three minutes later, they scored their first try through Italy international Jake Polledri. With the extras added by Evans, Gloucester led 10-0.

On 13 minutes, the home side scored again, through Centre Jack Reeves on the far touchline. Even with the conversion missed, United led 15-0.

20 minutes later, the hosts scored another try, this time through Openside Flanker Aaron Hinkley. With the conversion attempt missed, Gloucester led 20-0.

Three minutes before half-time, United Number Eight Gareth Evans intercepted a wayward pass on halfway and ran in another score. With the conversion added by Evans, Gloucester led 27-0.

After the break, Quins looked re-energised and, on the 43rd minute, scrum-half Calum Waters broke through the Gloucester defense and dotted down for his side’s first score. With the extras added by Catrakilis, the score was 27-7 to Gloucester United.

The hosts responded immediately, however, with a second try from Jack Reeves, who then completed his hat-trick 2 minutes later, the latter converted by Evans. On 50 minutes, Gloucester led 39-7.

On 59 minutes, Quins scored their second try of the match, through Number Eight Renaldo Bothma. With the extras added by Catrakillis, the score was 39-14 to Gloucester.

On 64 minutes, Gloucester replacement back Charlie Chapman crossed the whitewash to further extend his side’s lead. The conversion slotted by Evans, United led 46-14.

On the 74th minute, United were awarded a penalty try following consecutive infringements from Quins at the scrum on their five-metre line. Gloucester then led 53-14.

In the final seconds of the match, EPDG player James Bourton scored a consolatory try for the visitors to make the final score 53-19 to Gloucester United.

Harlequins are back in action this evening against Claremont Auvergne in the Semi-Final of the European Challenge Cup at the Stade Marcel Michelin (kick-off: 20:00, Live on BT Sport).