Match Reports

Harlequins maintain 100% record after victory against Gloucester

Saturday, 5th October 2019 @ 15:00

True to form, it was another quick start, with Dombrandt capitalising on the loose ball with a well struck kick to gain ground, resulting in Mike Brown crossing the line after four minutes. Marcus Smith started his season off well from the tee, converting to give Quins a 7-0 lead.

Gloucester tried to respond quickly, with scrum half Joe Simpson managing to quickly get the ball out to second row Gerbrandt from the breakdown, and the pass to Tom Seabrook went forward as Quins claimed back possession. 

It wasn’t too long until Gloucester were on the scoreboard after Matt Banahan broke through the Quins defence following the lineout and Joe Simpson crossed the line, 13 mins into the match. Twelvetrees missed the conversion, Quins still led 7-5.

Less than five minutes later, Ben Tapuai got close to scoring a try following a huge drive from the forwards, but moments later it was a first Quins try for Argentinian scrum half and new summer signing Martin Landajo. Quins led 14-5 after Smith slots through the posts.

Another quick response from Gloucester on the 20-minute mark after Jamal Ford-Robinson broke through the defence and drew in the last man before offloading to Billy Twelvetrees who crossed the line to narrow the score to 14-12.

Summer signing Martin Landajo proved to be a handful again with a quick break, laying the ball off to Marchant who is stopped short of the line. Quins had the advantage five metres short of the line and Gloucester’s Lewis Ludlow was sent to the bin for being off his feet in the ruck.

From the resulting scrum, Quins drive for the line and excellent strength saw another first Club try for Welsh star Scott Baldwin, again with Smith converting for a solid 21-12 lead.

Another Quins try followed on the 32rd minute with that man Aaron Morris crossing the line again for his third try in three games this season. 28-12 following Marcus Smith’s successful conversion.

With half time around the corner, Gloucester looked to narrow the gap and Gloucester flanker Aaron Hinkley charged down the Harlequins kick and chased it up to cross the line. Following debate amongst the officials, the try was awarded, and Billy Twelvetrees converted to make it 28-19.

But Quins wanted to extend the lead before the break and Club Captain Chris Robshaw picked the ball up from contact and drove forward to gain valuable yards. Mike Brown spotted the gap and went for it, drawing in the last Gloucester defender before pinging the ball to Ben Tapuai who added another five points, with Quins taking in a 35-19 lead.

The second half appeared a much cagier affair, with both defences tightening up but Gloucester managed to claw back five points on the 48th minute through Tom Seabrook.

The next period saw a host of changes for both sides, including a 50th appearance for James Lang and Stephan Lewies and Scott Baldwin sent to the sin bin, alongside Gloucester’s Ruan Ackermann.

On the 68th minute, James Lang narrowly missed a penalty kick just shy of the halfway line but Quins managed to maintain their slender lead and The Stoop crowd were in fine voice.

A huge tackle from Joe Marchant stopped Gloucester in their tracks in the final two minutes before an unforced handling error led to Renaldo Bothma crossing the line to give Harlequins a 40-31 win.