Match Reports

Quins lose out to Bath United in Premiership Rugby Shield

Friday, 28th December 2018 @ 16:00

Bath United scored four as they condemned Harlequins to a 17-29 defeat in the Premiership Rugby Shield at Farnham RUFC.

Bath led 5-15 at the break thanks to two early tries from Will Vaughan and Levi Davis and continued to dominate proceedings when they crossed twice in the second 40 through Jack Wilson and Jack Walker.

George Head went over in the first half for Quins while Niall Saunders and Alofa Alofa bookended the scoring in the second half.

Bath's opening score came in just the third minute. After a number of penalties against Quins, the away side opted for the close-range rolling maul and Will Vaughan was the one to touch down.

0-5 turned into 0-12 just seven minutes later when - again from close range - Chris Cook opted to pick from the maul and play an inside pass for Davis to latch onto and race over.

Quins got their first real spell of possession ten minutes later, as the hosts continued to opt for the scrum from a number of penalties; eventually Head's try came in the corner on 22 minutes. As Demetri Catrakilis failed with the conversion attempt Bath held a 5-12 lead.

In the act of Quins scoring their opening try, Bath were reduced to 14 men following a yellow card for an off-the-ball hit.

Towards the end of the first 40, Bath re-established their dominance in the contest and a ten-point gap was opened when Quins were whistled for offside and Alex Davies could send over the penalty.

Quins started the second half in electric form when Game Changer Niall Saunders picked from a broken maul to race round the outside and dot down. From a tight angle Catrakilis sent over the conversion to close the gap to just three points.

Handed a lifeline from Saunders' try, Quins would kick themselves just four minutes later Bath went over for their third.

From a line out just outside Quins' 22, Bath's backs linked up well and Jack Wilson was the one to score under the tackle of Luke Wallace.

Quins continued to rally with a number of penalties and a very handy turnover from Wallace, but no points were contributed to the scoreboard.

The contest moved out of sight on the 65th minute when - in a similar move to their first try - Bath crossed from a driving maul; this time Jack Walker the one to score. As Davies sent over the conversion, Quins trailed by 17.

Bath went in the search of try number five from the restart but their attacked was stopped as Quins set off in search of at least a losing bonus point from the contest.

Following the earlier yellow card, both sides were shown yellows in the final stages as Niall Saunders and Miles Reid were given ten minutes in the bin following an altercation.

On a tough day for Quins, the hosts had the final say when Alofa Alofa crossed down the left-hand side following a lovely looping pass from Demetri Catrakilis.

Following the defeat, Harlequins will return to Premiership Rugby Shield action in April away to Exeter Braves.